For the people of Zillertal it is a time honoured tradition - for visitors to the region, an amazingly colourful spectacle whilst on holiday: When cattle that have been grazing all summer on the high alpine pastures of Zillertal are adorned with flowers, ribbons, intricately embroidered head-dresses with holy figures and bells to be herded down to lower lying farms before the winter snow arrives.
The Almabtrieb is a very colourful event: The animals are herded on foot from the outer lying valleys such as Zillergrund, Stilluptal, Ginzling and Tuxertal back "home". The leading cow, or "Moarkuh", leads each decorated herd, followed by heifers, bulls, young oxen and small livestock, such as sheep and goats.
Thousands of people from home and abroad come to take part in this incredible festival - not only because of the traditional delicacies that are served:
A farmer"s market, show-distillery and countless market stalls are laden with Zillertal specialities such as "Krapfen", "Melchermuas"," Zerggl", farmhouse bread, bacon, grilled meats, pine schnapps and sweet treats. Traditional "Schuhplattler" - shoe tapping, thigh slapping dancers, whip crackers and folk bands welcome the "Returnees" all along the main street
Due to the large number of visitors to the Almabtrieb and the resulting parking and traffic conditions, shuttle buses will be in operation again this year to reduce congestion in Mayrhofen. No buses will be allowed to drive into Mayrhofen on this particular day. Further information can be found here
All dates for 2013
Regional Almabtrieb Festivals
Local Almabtrieb Festivals
21. September 2013 - Almabtrieb at the Geislerhof in Ramsau from 11.00 hrs
21. September 2013 - Almabtrieb at the Kiendlerhof in Schwendau from 11.00 hrs
21. September 2013 - Almabtrieb at the Kirchbichlhof in Hippach from 12.00 hrs
27. September 2013 - Almabtrieb at the Gasthof Schwarzenstein in Ginzling from 11.00 hrs
28. September 2013 - Almabtrieb at the Jogglerhof in Ramsau from 11.00 hrs
05. October 2013 - Almabtrieb at the Hub`n Bauer in Laimach from 11.00 hrs
05. October 2013 - in Mayrhofen from 10.00 hrs
05. October 2013 - Almabtrieb at Bruggerstube from 11.00 hrs
05. October 2013 - at the Larcherhof/Larchergut in Hollenzen from 11.00 hrs
Food, drink, music & entertainment is available at all Almtrieb locations. Admission is free!
Your request is beeing processed.
Please wait a moment.