For the people of Zillertal it is a time honoured tradition - for visitors to the region, an amazingly colourful spectacle whilst on holiday: When cattle that have been grazing all summer on the high alpine pastures of Zillertal are adorned with flowers, ribbons, intricately embroidered head-dresses with holy figures and bells to be herded down to lower lying farms before the winter snow arrives.
The Almabtrieb is a very colourful event: The animals are herded on foot from the outer lying valleys such as Zillergrund, Stilluptal, Ginzling and Tuxertal back "home". The leading cow, or "Moarkuh", leads each decorated herd, followed by heifers, bulls, young oxen and small livestock, such as sheep and goats.
Thousands of people from home and abroad come to take part in this incredible festival - not only because of the traditional delicacies that are served:
A farmer"s market, show-distillery and countless market stalls are laden with Zillertal specialities such as "Krapfen", "Melchermuas"," Zerggl", farmhouse bread, bacon, grilled meats, pine schnapps and sweet treats. Traditional "Schuhplattler" - shoe tapping, thigh slapping dancers, whip crackers and folk bands welcome the "Returnees" all along the main street
Due to the large number of visitors to the Almabtrieb and the resulting parking and traffic conditions, shuttle buses will be in operation again this year to reduce congestion in Mayrhofen. No buses will be allowed to drive into Mayrhofen on this particular day. Further information can be found here.
All dates for 2014
Regional Almabtrieb Festivals
Local Almabtrieb Festivals
20. September 2014 - Almabtrieb at the Geislerhof in Ramsau from 11.00 hrs
20. September 2014 - Almabtrieb at the Kiendlerhof in Schwendau from 11.00 hrs
20. September 2014 - Almabtrieb at the Kirchbichlhof in Hippach from 12.00 hrs
26. September 2014 - Almabtrieb at the Gasthof Schwarzenstein in Ginzling from 11.00 hrs
27. September 2014 - Almabtrieb in Hippach
04. October 2014 - Almabtrieb at the Hub`n Bauer in Laimach from 11.00 hrs
04. October 2014 - in Mayrhofen from 10.00 hrs
04. October 2014 - Almabtrieb at Bruggerstube from 11.00 hrs
04. October 2014 - at the Larcherhof/Larchergut in Hollenzen from 11.00 hrs
Food, drink, music & entertainment is available at all Almtrieb locations. Admission is free!
Details subject to change - no liability accepted for data supplied!
Your request is beeing processed.
Please wait a moment.