Snowboard lesson on the Ahorn
Mike Pramstraller is a true Mayrhofen local who has been cruising the slopes of the Ahorn since his early childhood. He knows the connoisseur’s mountain like the back of his hand. On the other hand Helen came to Mayrhofen in a more roundabout way. She was born in Norwich, England, studied German and management studies, worked around Austria as a travel representative for five years before settling in Mayrhofen as part of the concierge service team at the Mayrhofen-Hippach Tourist Office. Mayrhofen captured her heart immediately for its:
- Beautiful scenery
- The perfect job for her language skills
- A certain Mike Pramstraller
The couple first met in a Snowboard lesson, as Mike has been a snowboard instructor for 20 years. He can’t imagine a life without snow and snowboarding. After some intensive (private) lessons, Helen was quickly ready to ride with him off-piste. Since then they have enjoyed the best pastime in the world, powder, together – a sign of Helen’s absolute trust in her ʻinstructorʼ.
A Snowboard Instructor Wedding in the Ziller Valley
After four years together, the couple married in December 2012 at the registry office in Mayrhofen. They celebrated in style at the Kristallhütte in Kaltenbach. True to their roots, Mike rode to the hut on his snowboard with the bride (in her dress) followed with family in a piste basher.
Their bicultural union was topped with the birth of a little Pramstaller (Ella) in November 2013. Incidentally, the language which they speak together is usually English- mostly because Mike, as a typical Zillertaler, didn’t want to have to speak High German to his wife….now both have been required to learn each other’s native tongues and Ella is lucky enough to grow up in a bilingual family.
The Ahorn and its advantages
Advantages for Skiers in the Ziller Valley
- The last Winter season was again spent, in wedded bliss, on their favourite mountain, the Ahorn. On well groomed pistes and a variety of runs for beginners, families and experts.
- The Mayrhofner Bergbahnen are famous for their excellent pistes.
- The Ahorn also boasts another special feature: the gondola or home run which take you back to town lead pretty much directly to the après-ski.
The Ahorn as the Connoisseur’s Mountain.
Perfect day on the Ahorn in Mayrhofen: powder snow, sunshine and good atmosphere in the huts.
The Ahorn offers a variety of cosy mountain huts, serving culinary delights. Helen is a big fan of the tasty Tyrolean dishes, especially ʼthe classicsʼ: Kaiserschmarren (rich, chopped pancake), Kasspatzln (cheesy egg noodles) and the obligatory Schnapps.
„The perfect day on the mountain includes powder snow, sunshine, a good atmosphere in the huts and aprés-ski to finish.” agree the two snowboarders. The last of those has had to be cut back on since the arrival of their daughter but, with her genes, she will soon be enjoying the Ahorn, be it on skis or a snowboard.
The Ahorn: Quick Facts
- Capacity: 160 people per Gondola
- Duration: 6:30 minutes from valley to mountain
- Visitors: since opening in December 2006 the Ahorn has transported 1.580.000 visitors
- Visitors per year: 320.000 (skiers and hikers)
Get to know the Connoisseur Mountain Ahorn yourself, either in summer or in winter.