Ramsau in Zillertal
604 m - 1580 inhabitants
The first recorded mention of the village of Ramsau dates back to 1188. Its central location is perfect for exploring the Zillertal Valley. Ramsau is the ideal starting point for numerous hikes.
The "Mariä Sieben Schmerzen - Our Lady of Sorrows" Parish Church, also known as "Ramsau Chapel", is a popular day trip destination. This simple yet classic building was built in 1841 and consecrated in 1843. One of its highlights is the painting of the "Sorrowful Mother of God" which adorns the high altar. After completion of refurbishment works in 1997, the chapel has been returned to its former glory.
Ramsau is also the home village of the Blessed Engelbert Kolland, who died a martyr's death in Damascus in 1860. He was beatified in October 1926 and has been the second patron saint for Zell am Ziller since 1986. A festive procession is held every year in honour of Engelbert in Ramsau at the beginning of July.