Almabtrieb - Cattle Drive
For the people of Zillertal it is a time honoured tradition - for visitors to the region, an amazingly colourful spectacle whilst on holiday: When cattle that have been grazing all summer on the high alpine pastures of Zillertal are adorned with flowers, ribbons, intricately embroidered head-dresses with holy figures and bells to be herded down to lower lying farms before the winter snow arrives.
The Almabtrieb is a very colourful event: The animals are herded on foot from the outer lying valleys such as Zillergrund, Stilluptal, Ginzling and Tuxertal back "home". The leading cow, or "Moarkuh", leads each decorated herd, followed by heifers, bulls, young oxen and small livestock, such as sheep and goats.
Thousands of people from home and abroad come to take part in this incredible festival - not only because of the traditional delicacies that are served:
A farmer"s market, show-distillery and countless market stalls are laden with Zillertal specialities such as "Krapfen", "Melchermuas"," Zerggl", farmhouse bread, bacon, grilled meats, pine schnapps and sweet treats. Traditional "Schuhplattler" - shoe tapping, thigh slapping dancers, whip crackers and folk bands welcome the "Returnees" all along the main street.
All Dates for 2017
Regional Almabtrieb Festivals
17. September 2017 - Klausenalm Fest in Ginzling
22. September 2017 - Cattle Drive at the Gasthof Schwarzenstein in Ginzling
23. September 2017 - Cattle Drive at the Geislerhof in Ramsau
23. September 2017 - Cattle Drive at the Kiendlerhof in Schwendau
29. September 2107 - Cattle Drive at the Stoaner Farm with a Home-Coming Festival at Bienenhäusl
07. October 2017 - in Mayrhofen
07. October 2017 - Cattle Drive at Bruggerstube
07. October 2017 - at the Larcherhof/Larchergut in Hollenzen
14. October 2017 - Cattle Drive at the Hub`n Bauer in Laimach
Food, drink, music & entertainment is available at all Cattle Drive locations. Admission is free!
Details subject to change - no liability accepted for data supplied
Almabtrieb - a much loved tradition
Order Parking Tickets
includes shuttle service to the Almabtrieb Cattle Drive celebrations in Mayrhofen on 07th October 2017
Information with regards to coach parking:
Due to the large number of visitors to the Almabtrieb and the resulting parking and traffic conditions, shuttle buses will be in operation again this year to reduce congestion in Mayrhofen. No buses will be allowed to drive into Mayrhofen on this particular day.
The bus and coach parking area is at the Horbergbahn Lifts in Schwendau. Guests will be transported from there to Mayrhofen in a shuttle bus, and brought back again later to the parking lot.
This service is available exclusively on Saturday, 07th October 2017 from 07.30 to 18.00 hrs!
Parking ticket fee, including shuttle service for coaches :
- pre-ordered ONLINE shuttle tickets: per passenger € 4,00 (incl. shuttle)
- shuttle tickers purchased ON SITE - per passenger € 6,00 (incl. shuttle)
- Travel guides and drivers will receive free tickets. These, however, must be ordered. We kindly request that you order tickets for travel guides and bus drivers separately using the following email address: email@example.com .
Every tour operator is responsible for organising tickets for their passengers. Online tickets can be purchased 2 months in advance from the Webshop.
IMPORTANT: Refunds will not be made on unused tickets.
Parking ticket for cars directly next to the entrance of Mayrhofen:
- per car € 5,00
Details subject to change!