Zillertal Steinbockmarsch in Ginzling
Tradition, Challenge & Jubilee
That was the 50th Zillertal Steinbock March and Run
Bright sunshine, perfect weather for hiking and running, not too hot yet dry terrain, were the fortuitous conditions enjoyed by those competing in the 50th anniversary event of the Zillertal Steinbock March. Organised by Ginzling Voluntary Fire Brigade and Ginzling locality, up to 1,000 people took part in the anniversary trek and Steinbock Run.
Zillertal Steinbock Run
The Zillertal Steinbock Run was re-introduced in celebration of the event's 50th anniversary. 100 runners were counted at the mass start at 6.00 a.m. with chip timekeeping. Local hero, Markus Kröll, who was only an onlooker this year, is thrilled. "As an athlete, it is a joy to see so many young runners taking part!“ The results speak for themselves:
1. Christian Kreidl from Racing Team Mountainshop Hörhager with a finishing time of 2:48:05,5
2. Patric Hörhager from Racing Team Mountainshop Hörhager with a finishing time of 2:59:03,5
3. Simon Stock from WSK Verbund with a finishing time of 3:04:45,4
4. Martin Kaschmann from Fügen with a finishing time of 3:04:45,5
The ladies also achieved some brilliant results at this year's Zillertal Steinbock Run. The following athletes filled the top three women's positions:
1. Stephanie Kröll from Fügen with 3:24:12,4
2. Petra Gruber from Stans with 4:02:41,9
3. Helga Platzgummer from Merano (IT) with 4:04:51,0
Zillertal Steinbock March
The traditional Steinbock March also met with great approval among the hiking populace. The first hikers set off at 5.00 a.m. to conquer the gruelling stretch. Those who rise to this challenge, triumph over themselves!
1. Reinhold Doblinger from Pramet with 3:32:16,0
2. Christian Tscharnig from Volders with 3:32:36,3
3. Heinz Lechner from FC Karlskronawith 3:35:38,2
And those who believe that only hardened men are able to accomplish this feat are sorely mistaken, because plenty of women rose to the challenge, demonstrating undeniable girl power along the way:
1. Carina Altmanninger from Naturfreunden with 4:24:06,8
2. Barbara Schießling from Reith i.A. with 4:40:17,0
3. Andrea Kerschdorfer from Kaltenbach with 4:40:46,7
51. Zillertaler Seinbockmarsch - 17. August 2019
It is a long-standing institution in Ginzling; no summer is truly complete without the Zillertal Steinbock March! On Saturday, 19.08.2018, and for the 51st year in succession, hikers, climbers and trail runners will embark on this 30 km long trek from Ginzling to Breitlahner Alpine Guest House - not along the road, but over hill and dale.
The Zillertal Steinbock March is a day-long hike through the Zillertal Alps Nature Park. The Steinbock March is well known and has firmly established itself as a classic amongst the Alpine hikes. The very first Steinbock March took place on the 17th October 1969 and was organised by the founding chairman of Ginzling Sports Club, Franz Hörhaer. The inaugural route led from Ginzling through the „Floite“ Valley to the Greizer Hut and back. The following year, participants hiked along the route still used today, over the Mörchnerscharte Ridge.
Participants are presented with a challenging 30 km long route, with an ascent of 1,871 metres in altitude and a descent 1,613 m, with incline gradients of up to 25-30° (total altitude differences of 3,484 m). All participants are awarded with a Steinbock March badge on completing the route. Anyone who rises to the challenge of the Steinbock March has, in any case, triumphed over him/herself!