Landshuter Europahütte 2693m

Description

The Europahütte, formerly Landshuter Hütte (in Italian both Rifugio Venna alla Gerla and Rifugio Europa) is a mountain hut at 2,693 metres in the Zillertal Alps, which has been run jointly since 1989 by the Landshut section of the German Alpine Club and the Sterzing section of the Club Alpino Italiano.

The special thing about this hut is probably the fact that the national borders between Austria and Italy run right through the guest rooms.

It was built at the end of the 19th century by the Landshut section of the German and Austrian Alpine Club and has been extended and renovated several times over the years. After the 2nd World War the hut was in a very poor condition and required renovation, which could not be carried out due to a lack of funds.

The hut was only reopened much later, in 1972, but initially only on the Austrian side, as the Italian part of the hut had been expropriated after the War.

After more and more complaints about the conditions at the Landshut the CAI finally decided to have the Italian side renovated in 1989.

Since then, four flags have flown at the Landshuter Europahütte: the Tyrolean, the Bavarian, the Italian and the European Union.

Alpinists and hikers have many tour options up to over 3500 metres, as well as hikes to neighbouring huts. The Europahütte is also a stage of the 1st route of the Tiroler Höhenweg hike, which starts from Mayrhofen (658 m) via the Schlegeis reservoir (1800 m) to the Landshut Europahütte.

The Europahütte, formerly Landshuter Hütte (in Italian both Rifugio Venna alla Gerla and Rifugio Europa) is a mountain hut at 2,693 metres in the Zillertal Alps, which has been run jointly since 1989 by the Landshut section of the German Alpine Club and the Sterzing section of the Club Alpino Italiano.

The special thing about this hut is probably the fact that the national borders between Austria and Italy run right through the guest rooms.

It was built at the end of the 19th century by the Landshut section of the German and Austrian Alpine Club and has been extended and renovated several times over the years. After the 2nd World War the hut was in a very poor condition and required renovation, which could not be carried out due to a lack of funds.

The hut was only reopened much later, in 1972, but initially only on the Austrian side, as the Italian part of the hut had been expropriated after the War.

After more and more complaints about the conditions at the Landshut the CAI finally decided to have the Italian side renovated in 1989.

Since then, four flags have flown at the Landshuter Europahütte: the Tyrolean, the Bavarian, the Italian and the European Union.

Alpinists and hikers have many tour options up to over 3500 metres, as well as hikes to neighbouring huts. The Europahütte is also a stage of the 1st route of the Tiroler Höhenweg hike, which starts from Mayrhofen (658 m) via the Schlegeis reservoir (1800 m) to the Landshut Europahütte.

Hours of Operation

Closed today
Location
EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_BEGIN EXTERNAL_SPLITTING_END